Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November: Do one thing

You know what the easiest excuse in the world is? "I don't have time."

So I'm bringing a different excuse to the table: "I'm a bad beginner."

It was an awesome and inspirational October. Two things specifically inspired me as a writer (both of song and otherwise):

1. John Vanderslice's house show, put on by KC Turner. JV--yeah, I know him. So what?--is quite the inspirational songwriter. He tells stories about his songs (or just about being a musician in general) that are so compelling, so endearing. And it makes me want to tell stories with my songs. Like Patty Griffin tells stories. (Have you ever heard her song "Makin' Pies"? It's beautiful. And haunting. And it tells a story.)

I wrote down several song ideas while I was enjoying the sweet sounds of John Vanderlice's music on someone's back lawn.

But have I actually made any of those ideas into songs? No. And I'll tell you why. It has to do with my second inspiring event.

IMG_4151
Gap cords and top, Madden boots, F21 necklace
IMG_4152

2. CAFe Salon Talk #1. It's an artist series curated by my church here in the city. CAFe (City Arts Fellowship) wants to connect artists so they can connect with and inspire one another. I went to the first "Salon Talk," which was basically a dinner at one artist's home (in this case, a blogger--love it!), during which we shared what we're interested in art-wise and our struggles with being a "poor beginner."

And I realized something while I was there. Karl--an amazing musician and our church music director--talked about how when you hear an amazing song, there are never any liner notes that say, "This song took six months to complete." You don't know how much work went into it and how long the songwriter had to struggle with getting started with the writing of it.

I felt relieved when I heard that. Maybe the beginning of writing a song really is just having those ideas scribbled down. And eventually one or more of them will become a song. But it's ok that it didn't happen in a month's time.

IMG_4154

Speaking of things happening in a month's time, I have my "do one thing" for November. Are you ready for this? I'm doing NaNoWriMo. I'm writing a novel (or, at least a lot of little vignettes). My main idea is just to start getting ideas out there. I have several, many of them autobiographical in content. So, tomorrow starts my goal to average 1,666 words per day.

This will be interesting, and I'm really excited about it.

OH, and on the style front, I can't wait to show you my new shoes.

IMG_4156

No comments:

Post a Comment