Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recipe: Easy-Substitution Shepherd's Pie

When I started thinking about what to make for dinner last night, I knew I had two of the ingredients needed to make shepherd's pie: ground beef and potatoes. I figured the rest would just fall into place.

Now, typically when I end up using substitutions, it doesn't turn out so well. This time, it was different. These pies turned out great. The hubs said so, so I know it's true. I used this recipe from Epicurious. (Thanks, iPad app!) I've included the recipe below, with my successful substitutions in parenthesis. Enjoy!

Nan's Shepherd's Pie (With Bethy's substitutions)

Ingredients:
  • 4 large russet potatoes (or 2 pounds baby dutch yellow potatoes)
  • 2 pounds (85% lean) ground sirloin (or 1 pound 85% lean ground beef; what's this "ground sirloin" business?)
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 large onions, chopped (or 2 medium-sized shallots, chopped)
  • 1 large garlic clove, smashed, peeled and finely chopped (oops... I used 3 cloves)
  • 1 (15 oz.) can tomato puree (or about 5 teaspoons tomato paste... however much you have lying around)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen petit peas, thawed (I just used a cup of whatever frozen peas I had. They're all kind of petit, right?)
  • 3/4 cup half-and-half (is it weird that I used buttermilk? It worked.)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup (packed) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese (I used Monterrey Jack)
Preparation:

1. Do NOT peel the potatoes if you use the baby dutch yellow ones. It is such a hassle. But do peel the russets, chop into 1-inch chunks, and throw into a large pot of water. Bring water to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.

2. Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking apart the meat with a wooden spoon until browned, about seven minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate for now. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Toss in the onions (shallots) and garlic and saute over medium heat, stirring often, for about 6 minutes (about 3 if you're using shallots). Add the browned meat back in the skillet. Add in the tomato puree or paste and cayenne pepper. Stir, then bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. (*If using the paste, you may need to add 1/4 cup water so that the filling doesn't dry out.) Stir in the peas.

4. Drain the potatoes. Mash them well and then stir in the half-and-half, salt and pepper to taste. (*I added in the buttermilk right after draining and let the potatoes soak a bit. I also tossed in some olive oil, just 'cause.)

5. Grab 2 1/2-to 3-quart baking dishes or 4 personal ramekins. Spoon the meat mixture into the baking dishes and sprinkle the cheese on top. Spoon the potatoes on top, smoothing over the meat, leaving about an inch border around the edge. (If using ramekins, you don't have to leave any room around the edge.)

6. Drizzle olive oil over the top and then bake until the potatoes are golden, about 10 minutes. Cool for about five minutes before serving.


Don't believe that I actually made this? I have photos to prove it.


Waiting for potatoes.

Before.

After! (With roasted acorn squash on the side. Yum!)

Look at how delish that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment