Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Missoni for Target: My Thoughts

I hear there was mass pandemonium at every Target in the nation today.

It was reflected on Target's website when I tried to browse a bit this morning and was constantly denied by the cute little Target dog saying the site was currently down. (As I type this, it looks like it's back up.)

Why all the craziness? Missoni for Target, the long-awaited designer collaboration launched today. Imagine, the best in Italian fashion design right at your local Target, with most pieces coming in under $50. That's incredible! I mean, it is, isn't it? Yes?


I admit, I had gotten a little caught up in the hype of it all--reading blogger commentary on the upcoming launch, watching promo videos and wondering which pieces I would choose. But, you know what? I don't even like Missoni. It's not that I don't respect the design--and the iconic zig-zags. It's just that it's not really in my aesthetic.

Like, not at all.

And yet, I was a bit bummed today when I heard that nearly piece of apparel in the line was already sold out (or close to it). Many of the items are popping up on Ebay and priced much higher than retail. A little part of me thought, Bummer! There's no way I'll be able to get my hands on one of those cute sweater dresses.

AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE THE SWEATER DRESSES*.

That's mass marketing for you. And the keen campaign idea of teaming up with a famous designer to make it seem like one-of-a-kind pieces are becoming available to middle America. (News flash--you're not getting the same quality or exclusivity. You're just getting the name. But if that's all you want, you're golden. If I had an extra $400 lying around I would've been swayed by that adorable bicycle.) Target's certainly not the only company to do this (and this isn't its first foray into the designer collaboration world), but I would say that their collaborations have been the most successful in retail. Remember Tucker for Target and how every blogger out there snatched up the cute dresses and tunics? OK, I'll admit it. That's a collaboration I'm sincerely bummed I missed.

Soon, there will be another collaboration to look forward to, and it might even be with a designer I resonate with aesthetically. Till then, I'll try my best to resist the marketing ploys that basically cause me to purchase everything I do.





*I say this, and yet, if the site had been up, I probably would've bought one of the dresses and worn it proudly. Part of my style aesthetic or not, it's still a statement, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the bloggers I follow style the different Missoni for Target pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment