Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A little clarity

Yesterday I talked about giving up clothes shopping.

I thought I should clarify something. I'm not an over spender. I don't buy a ton of clothes and I don't have credit card debt. (I pay off my balance every month.)

I mean, come on, I write about personal finance, credit, and frugality every day. And I write a lot from experience, both good and bad.

I've had my stumbles with credit in the past, but never anything extreme. And I love a good clothing bargain.


And now that I'm married and share finances with the hubs, I'm held accountable for any excessive spending. (Don't worry, he is too.)

The hubs is a budget genius and has an elaborate spreadsheet, complete with lots of macros. He keeps up with our budget that way, because we can adjust it any way we want, unlike some of the online budgeting software. Like, now that I have a cell phone with a data plan, we'll add a new category to our budget.

Exciting stuff.

One of our budget categories is called "fun money" and another is "miscellaneous." Our fun money is money we have to spend on whatever (like clothes), and miscellaneous is money to spend on individual incidentals (like toiletries, drinks with friends, etc.). And we have a third incidental fund that we share, called "together fun money."

It's quite complicated, you see.

All that to say that my clothing purchases are always well within my allotted fun money fund.

 Gifted top, Urban cardi, J. Brand jeans, Mossimo shoes, Old Navy necklace

So why am I giving up shopping for a month?

I want to save up some of my fun cash toward something awesome (secret secret), plus I'd like to spend some of it on other fun things. Like a guitar pick.

Also, I need to start repeat-wearing and remixing the pieces I've purchased recently. (Anyone know when the next "30 for 30" challenge is??)

By the way, these are my new shoes from Target. They're pretty wonderful. And surprisingly comfortable. I walked two miles in them after work, and my feet felt mighty fine!

Tomorrow is National Running Day. Guess I know how I'll be kicking off my month of exercising!

No comments:

Post a Comment