Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 10: Good

There are several things I'm not very good at that I wish I were:

Cooking: It's true. As much as I talk about cooking and what recipes I'm working on, cooking is not my forte. Sigh. I follow recipes just fine, I just can't come up with my own recipes. And that's OK. I don't need to be a brilliant cook. I just need to be able to feed my family.

Playing the guitar: I picked up the guitar in college because it seemed like the thing to do. The good thing? I learned quickly because I started playing the piano at a young age. But I didn't really stick with it long enough to get any farther than strumming some chords. Now I've got a long way to go, and I'm not really sure where to start.

Party planning: Surprised? Yeah, I've planned a few parties in my life, but it's not something I'm good at, and I don't particularly enjoy it. I like having friends over, I like entertaining, but the planning part? It's just not me.

BUT

I am good at some stuff:

Baking: You know what you're good at when you're good at following recipes? Baking. And I've baked some killer things, including pies from fresh-picked apples (the first thing I ever baked from scratch) and red velvet cake (thanks to my mom-in-law's secret recipe!).

Singing: My voice is something I'm especially proud of. Along with acting, it's what gave me the confidence I needed to get through the self-esteem draining middle school years. I love singing.

Hostessing: I may not get all fancy with party favors and doilies, but I can make someone feel welcome. The other night a friend expectantly dropped by, and we all had dinner together. And I love that. I love that my friends can just drop by and feel welcome. And I love that friends can come stay with us for a few nights and feel at home. I hope they always do.

 H&M top, Banana Republic pants, Gap sandals, Old Navy necklace


Tomorrow I'm taking a break from the 30. I think i can do that every ten days. It's because 1.) tomorrow is the Giants game and I want to wear orange, and 2.) tomorrow is my friend's bachelorette party (right after work), so I probably won't have time to post.

Ta ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment