Friday, January 21, 2011

Friend Friday: Authenticity

Check out my authentic Guatemalan tamale.
Joining ModlyChic's "Friend Friday" posts this week.


1. Most readers and fellow fashion bloggers value authenticity in the blogs they read. How would you describe blog/blogger authenticity? I think blogger authenticity has a lot to do with the voice the he or she creates. Blogging should come naturally, conversationally. After following a blog for a while, a reader should really catch on to the blogger's voice and have an expectation of that voice.

2. When it comes to your blog how do you infuse it with that true/authentic feeling? Well, I've just begun in the fashion blogging world, but I've been blogging otherwise for years. I try to keep it casual and fun, but not too wordy or serious (speaking specifically about fashion blogging here). I'm still finding my voice as a fashion blogger, but isn't that part of the fun?

3. Have you stopped following a blog in the last three months? What made you lose interest? Yes. It mainly has to do with what I'm looking for in a fashion blog (and the community of fashion bloggers). I don't continue following blogs that just focus on "what's hot now" by posting pictures (not their own) and links to designers and shops. I want to see and hear from real women struggling to define their style just like me. Maybe a blogger can take inspiration from the runway, but it's not likely that I'll continue reading a photo- and trend-heavy blog.

4. We can't communicate effectively on our blogs, something we don't live in real life... what are some ways you try to live an authentic life? I try to be true to myself, I suppose, as cliche as that sounds. Like, I do what I'm interested in and gravitate toward others who are interested in similar things. (Guess that means it's nearly time to start meeting some local style bloggers!) And I talk to people. I firmly believe we are meant to live in community, which means we talk to one another and share our hopes, fears, dreams, etc. Life's so much more interesting when spent with others.

5. Give a shout-out... Which bloggers do you think are truly genuine and why? Kendi Everyday (she just seems so real and likeable), Blue Collar Catwalk (she lets us see her in her workout gear, for crying out loud!),What Would a Nerd Wear (her photos don't seem super doctored, like some blogs out there, and she just seems like someone I'd like to meet), Work With What You've Got (not ashamed to share an embarrassing story or two).

Happy Friday, all! I'm heading to a beach house for the weekend for my bud's 30th birthday. So excited!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to FBFF! I"m thrilled you joined our group and am looking forward to reading all of your posts in the months ahead. - Katy

    ReplyDelete