Friday, January 28, 2011

Friend Friday: Blogger Mechanics

Friday brings another FBFF, via ModlyChic. Thanks, chica!


1. What technology do you use in blogging? Photo-wise, I use a Canon PowerShot SD1100. I bought the camera during the Summer of 2008, right before I got married. I think I'm about due for a new one, don't you?  I usually blog on my HP Pavilion laptop. It's also a few years old, but it's going strong. One day soon I hope to get a netbook. I have no phancy phone that allows me to check my emails and other blogs on the go, but I'm currently in the process of picking out a new plan and phone. I'm soooo looking forward to it.

2. What computer and online technology do you use? I use Picasa (both on my computer and online) for photo storage and easy viewing and some basic editing. I use Picnik.com to give my photos their pretty little rounded edges and create simple collages. I started the blog using the OnSugar network, but quickly switched to Blogger (which I've used for many years).

3. What is your process for taking pictures? I either snap shots in my apartment or somewhere outside around my work. I set up the camera in the manual setting to shoot in cloudy, sunny, fluorescent, etc settings and change the aperture as needed. Then I balance the camera on its side (thank goodness for the "straighten" feature in photo editors) and set the 10-second timer and pose away. I try to get it done quickly and my photogenic nature typically doesn't let me down.

Then, I upload the photos to Picasa, edit them there or upload to an online album and edit them in Picnik through my Picasa album. I don't know much about photo editing, so I usually just click the "auto fix" button. Seems to work pretty well so far.

4. When it comes to backdrops for your photos what do you consider? Do you scout locations or shoot the same spot daily? Well, ideally I shoot outside. But I haven't quite gotten up the courage to shoot around my apartment. I live in downtown San Francisco, for crying out loud. Give me some time. One of these days I'll drag my husband out with me and make him embarrass himself simultaneously. I've found several spots around my work that get good lighting (including inside the kitchen). My newest favorite spot is on the upstairs back porch just outside the kitchen at work. It overlooks rooftops and a very industrial side of the Bayview neighborhood of San Francisco.

5. If you could splurge and get one new piece of equipment what would you be buying? Oooo, tough call. I'd say camera, but I think what I'd really like is a phone. A phone with data capabilities and apps and really cool things that most people consider normal these days. I like being connected, and style blogging should be about staying connected to a community of bloggers. Well, it'd be a splurge for me, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment